Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"This is 'Tuba.'"

I went through band practice one day last week.  The students are spread in different rooms practicing their various instruments (mostly woodwinds, but there was the drum/xylophone room for the percussionists too).

As I walked into the percussion room, one of my favorite girls, Yui, comes up to me (she's sort of in charge of practice), offering an emphatic "Hi!" (which is why she's one of my favorites).

She then proceeds to lead me through the rooms, stopping to introduce me to all of the instruments in English, without any prompting from me whatsoever.

At one point I tell her I played sax back in high school.

"!! Me too!" she excitedly replies. She even let me HOLD hers.  Got me nostalgic for my high school jazz band days.  More than anything, though, it made me really happy--it was very much a "she can SO use English!" moment, and I'm not sure which of us was prouder for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment