Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Ganbatte kudasai [please do your best]!"

Had my very last class at middle school; at the end I told them a bit about my plans ("I want to be a doctor"), and students wrote farewell messages (being 9th graders with at least 3 years of English under their belt, they only got 10 minutes--lots of hurried textbook flipping looking up words!).

After class, Shie, perhaps my very favorite student (she's the one who pointed me out in the Backstreet Boys Video--I've got a bunch of anecdotes just about her.  Super-energetic and completely unabashed in her English use), came up to me.


"Doctor," she says, "Great!"  and curls a clenched fist in show of solidarity.
"I'll do my best!"
"You are doctor, I am nurse!" she giggles, rushing off excitedly.

I'm really gonna miss my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment